Welcome to another wonderful year at OLG! I’m Lauren Hobbs and this is my 9th year as a member of the OLG family. It is my 14th year as a Catholic school educator! 8th grade is a special time in a student’s life, and I am honored to be the 8th grade homeroom teacher again this year.
Education, Experience & Leadership
- I attended Sonoma State University, just north of San Francisco, and earned at Bachelors of Arts in Liberal Studies (2008). After graduation, I had a desire to serve and continue my education further.
- I joined LMU PLACE Corps (Partners in Los Angeles Catholic Education), a two-year service program that serves the lower income and under resourced Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- I was placed in North Long Beach, and taught fourth grade at my placement school for five years. While in PLACE, I earned a Masters in Education and California Teaching Credential (2010) from Loyola Marymount University.
- MAP Coordinator (2015- Present): Running and organizing our standardized testing.
- I serve on many committees within our school building, but also am an archdiocesan leader, collaborating with Maryknoll and the Archdiocese in the 7th grade religion curriculum program, Missionary Discipleship Institute (MDI). I currently serve in the role of MDI Companion, acting as a liaison and teacher support between the Archdiocese, Maryknoll, and the 7th grade religion teachers in the archdiocese. This is year 3 in this role, and going strong!
Hobbies and Favorite Things to Do
I enjoy being outside, working in the yard, enjoying the sunshine, spending time with family & friends, and traveling whenever possible. During the summers, my family makes jam and pickles together, a tradition going back many years!
I also enjoy exploring West Seattle, and Washington State. A goal of mine is to spend time in every county in Washington. I’ve got about 1/2 the state down! More to go to this year!
I believe that teaching is my vocation, and I greatly enjoy helping students to become lifelong passionate learners who are dedicated to service, justice and their faith. I look forward to walking beside your children on their journey of discovery this year, and know that with Christ’s guidance and love, we will have a fantastic year!
Just a Few of My Favorite Places and People!
Ireland: Teacher Excellence Day 2016, My siblings who are also in Catholic Education and the nonprofit sector, and summer trips to Hawaii and Mt. Rainier with Mr. Santos and Ms. Savio over the years!