Welcome to OLG’s Middle School Math Program
Click on the grade level math class tabs for details regarding summer math work obligations.
The mathematics program in Grades 6-8 uses a variety of print and online resources aligned to the Common Core Standards. This includes the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice.
Grades 6 and 7 math courses are taught in a whole group setting and focus on the foundational pre-algebra skills necessary for 8th grade.
The two 8th-grade math courses are:
- Algebra: This course is based on the 8th-grade and Algebra 1 common core concepts.
- Accelerated Algebra: This course is based on the 8th-grade and Algebra 1 common core concepts and covers all topics at a faster pace with more demands for independent work, proficient basic math skills, and strong organizational skills.
*More details regarding each grade level can by found in the Syllabus link on each class page.
- Synchronous learning schedule can be found here.
- All math courses will be “live” via zoom on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Wednesdays will be dedicated for limited-screen asynchronous independent work.
- Google Classroom – We will use Google Classroom extensively during the school year. Invitations to join my math class have been sent to your OLG gmail. Login to your google account and accept.
- Khan Academy – Middle school students will use Khan Academy throughout the year to support and strengthen their math skills.
- All course consumables (ie. worksheets, note templates, non-digital assessments) will be provided by Ms. Savio and can be picked up at the school at the beginning of each unit.
- Students will also need the following math supplies every day: composition notebook, glue stick/tape, pencil, eraser, scientific calculator, ruler, lined paper-college rule, graph paper.
In response to Distance Learning due to COVID-19, Ms. Savio has recently completed the following professional development courses:
- Greg Tang Math Workshop Grades 6-8 Virtual
- 2020 Private School Conference: Think Better…Live Better…Teach Better…series, Top 20 Training
- Using Zoom Video Conferencing Tools for Student Engagement, SimpleK12
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Google Classroom, SimpleK12
- G Suite for Education (Educator Level 1: Fundamentals Training & Educator Level 2: Advanced Training)
High School Readiness
High school readiness is a top priority. Our graduates are often accepted into top performing high schools and placed in advanced level math courses.