The Our Lady of Guadalupe School Student Council is an exciting opportunity for students to share their gifts and talents with the OLG community in a more public way; as elected and representative members of our student body.
Through drives, fundraising events, assemblies, plays, prayer, and service, they work together as a faith-filled, collaborative group, guiding the entire OLG student body by example and action. By simply running and giving a speech, students can gain the opportunity to be a member of the Student Council as a representative!
Benefits of Being a Member of the Student Council
Participation in the OLG Student Council is one more of the many ways that our students have to foster skills such as leadership, communication, teamwork, organization and public speaking, all of which are pivotal skills for their future. From immersing students in service learning projects, to attending council meetings, student council opportunities will also help OLG students realize not only what it means to be a leader, but what it truly means to be a servant leader. In addition, joining a student organization is one of the best ways for students to learn more about themselves. Student council opportunities provide them with activities and projects that will shape the way students see the world and those who live in it.
Participation and Purpose
Participation in the Student Council is voluntary and, a year-long commitment. It is an extracurricular activity that takes place primarily during the school day and is open to students from grades 6th through 8th. The voting body will be composed of 2nd through 7th grade students. The purpose of the OLG Student Council is to provide opportunities for student services and leadership. Its function is based upon parliamentary procedures: ideas are presented, voted upon and confirmed by the Council President. Any student that is interested in leadership, organizational behavior, event planning or becoming more involved in the school are welcome to become involved.
Additional Student Council Responsibilities:
- Plan and participate in all spirit days.
- Plan, organize and run Student Council-led fundraisers and assemblies.
- Actively participate in all fundraisers and drives.
- Attend all Student Council meetings
- Attend and participate in the OLG Parish Feast Day Play and Mass
- Attend the Fall Student Council Retreat
- Occasionally, students may be asked to assist with campus-wide events and represent OLG within the Seattle community.
Student Council Roles:
- President (open to 8th Grade students)
- Vice-President (open to 8th Grade students)
- Secretary (open to 7th or 8th Grade students)
- Assistant Secretary (open to 6th Grade students)
- Publicist (open to 7th or 8th Grade students)
- Assistant Publicist (open to 6th Grade students)
- Lead Representative (open to 7th, 6th and 8th Grade students)