Daily Schedule for Grade 2: Parent Copy Grade 2 Schedule 22-23
Curriculum Overview – Slideshow: Curriculum Night – Grade 2
First Sacraments: 2021-2022 Sacramental Preparation Year 2 Schedule
First Sacraments: Registration Form
2nd Grade Curriculum Overview
“Train a child in the way he should go and, when he is old, he will not depart from it.” ~Proverbs 22:6
Our Lady of Guadalupe is renowned as a caring school that provides excellent education in the Catholic tradition. Our distinctive features include:
- Strong parent participation in all aspects of school life;
- Warm, friendly, culturally diverse, small intimate atmosphere;
- Stable faculty-staff tenure and a strong accreditation record.
The comprehensive second grade curriculum includes the following:
- Religion classes prepare children for First Reconciliation and First Communion. We study scripture relating to these sacraments, learn Mass responses, and develop a deeper personal relationship with Jesus through daily prayer and reflection.
- Language Arts studies use the “Wonders” curriculum materials & a reading workshop model (learning reading strategies for reading independence, writing responses to our reading, developing skills through guided reading groups, and sharing reading experiences with classmates). Language Arts also includes spelling, basic grammar skills, handwriting, and writing paragraphs (opinion, persuasive, informational), personal narratives, friendly letters, and poems. Foundational Skills are taught and strengthened through small group work using the SIPPS curriculum materials (Systematic Instruction in Phonics, Phonemic Awareness and Sight Words). Handwriting Without Tears curriculum continues for letter/number formation; piloting the Building Writers resource for added handwriting and writing practice.
- Math instruction focuses on strengthening addition and subtraction skills while learning how to add and subtract multi-digit numbers where regrouping is involved. Students work toward mastering skills such as counting money, interpreting simple graphs, comparing numbers, and quick recall of add/subtract facts to 20. We will also learn about probability and geometric concepts.
- Science uses FOSS curriculum kits for three themes: (1) Solids & Liquids – exploring matter and where we find it in our world. (2) Plants & Insects – studying the life cycles, growth process, and characteristics of plants & living things. (3) Pebbles, Sand, & Silt – exploring different materials that make up our world.
- Social Studies exposes students to cultures found in the communities South America, Japan, and Europe. Students learn about the cultures of each of these countries, comparing them to each other as a way of discovering the beauty of diversity in the world.
- Second Step is a violence prevention curriculum that is used throughout the year to teach responsible, peaceful behaviors. Talking About Touching is an Archdiocesan abuse prevention curriculum designed to develop communication skills that can help protect children from sexual abuse.
- Art is incorporated into the classroom learning on an ongoing basis. Twice a month we welcome Smart with Art into our classroom for more formal art instruction.
- P.E. – P.E. days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please make sure your child wears or brings appropriate shoes for running; shoes that tie or velcro, secure on the feet with good tracking soles. *Please, no boots, flats, Tom’s, backless or heeled shoes.* Girls should wear shorts, tights or leggings with their jumper. Students can remove their sweater or sweatshirt as they heat up so, please make sure they have their names on them. Thank you!
- Library, Technology, Spanish, and Music are part of the general curriculum.
The students work very hard all day long. As such, I will not be assigning additional homework very often. The main homework will be pick up a real book, and read OUT LOUD for at least 15-20 minutes each day. If students have unfinished work that needs to be completed, I may send that home as homework. When we have bigger projects due, the children will have up to two or three weeks to complete them, depending on the project.
Most classroom news and notes will be sent to you via Seesaw & posted on the website. If you need to contact me, email tends to be the best way: email@example.com.
We love to celebrate birthdays (or half-birthdays, for those of us with summer birthdays). You are welcome to let us know when your child is having a birthday and we will plan to sing Happy Birthday to them outside at the end of the day. Treats are also welcome. COVID protocols for birthday treats are that treats must be store bought and individually wrapped to be handed out to students at the end of the day. Thank you for your help in keeping our students safe.
Watch for details about First Communion and First Reconciliation. We will send you information about the First Sacraments program as it becomes available to us from the OLG Parish office.
Digital Platforms and Tools used in 2nd Grade:
Please note that all login and access information will be provided to students individually.
RAZ (Reading A to Z)
Raz-Kids is an award-winning teaching product that provides comprehensive leveled reading resources for students. With hundreds of eBooks offered at 29 different levels of reading difficulty, it’s easy to put the right content in every student’s hands.
Kids access their leveled text through an interactive learning portal designed to keep them motivated and engaged. Every eBook is available in online and mobile formats, and allows students to listen to, read at their own pace, and record themselves reading. Students then take a corresponding eQuiz complete with an extended answer response to test comprehension and determine future instruction needs. Once a child has read ten or more of the leveled eBooks and passed each of the corresponding eQuizzes, they advance on to the next reading level where they have access to lengthier and more difficult text.
The Math-Whizz Suite is made up of three core elements that work together to drive math progress in schools. These include their award-winning AI driven tutor, in-depth assessment and reporting tools and a bank of high-quality resources.
This program aligns with our Math In Focus curriculum, and will enable us to provide more support and enrichment for our range of math learners.
This is an online program that focuses on fact fluency. Fact fluency enables students to access more complex concepts without being held back by lack computation skills.
Mrs. Hart’s Bitmoji Classroom
- Learning Resources
- Relaxation Activities
- Learning Games
- Choice Boards