Dear Rising 8th Graders,
I would like to wish you all a happy summer and congratulate you on finishing a successful year in 7th grade! I’m excited for our class next year. Your summer math practice obligation is outlined below.
PART ONE: SUMMER MATH PACKET [passed out in class]
- I will collect your summer math packet on the first full day of school, Wednesday, August 31st. If you lose your packet over the summer, you can print a Summer Packet Grade 8 here.
- You will be tested on this material during the first full week of school, Friday, September 9th.
- Calculators will not be allowed on the test, and so it will only hurt you if you use one to complete this assignment. Please do not use a calculator on this assignment, except to check your solutions.
- The goal of this assignment is not to “get it done as fast as possible.” The purpose is to make sure you don’t forget all that you’ve learned this past year. Please pace yourself. Don’t try to complete the assignment all at once. Similarly, don’t put it off until the last week in August.
PART TWO: KHAN ACADEMY
Middle school students will use Khan Academy throughout the year to support and strengthen their math skills.
- Please sign in to your Khan Academy account at khanacademy.org and practice your skills throughout the summer.
- CONTINUE WITH GOOGLE (red button) when signing in to your account.
- I have assigned several practice activities to your account for you to work on over the summer (under “Assignments” tab).
- You must complete all khan assignments with a minimum score of 70%. You may retry any assignment, unlimited amount of times, in order to reach your desired score.
- Tip: In order for Khan Academy to save your scores, you should NOT click on the back arrow button. Instead, as you complete each activity, click on the Khan Academy home button (at the top, middle). You will then be redirected to your assignment list AND your score should appear.
- Remember that you are part of a Khan Academy class and I, as your Khan Academy “coach” have access to your summer progress. I’ll be looking forward to seeing your activity throughout the summer!
Course Overview & Expectations
MS Math Program